ss_blog_claim=faeec05b4de31199c48e093b03583154

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Homemade Shabu Shabu

One of my favorite dishes is the Shabu Shabu.It is a Japanese variant of hot pot. The dish is similar to sukiyaki as it composed of thinly sliced meat and vegetables cooked in a pot of boiling water or dashi (broth) made with kombu (kelp).

It is one truly healthy treat because it is cooked with minimal, almost zero, cooking oil. Though it would taste better if you add a little bit of sesame oil. It is truly a heavy treat because you can choose beef or pork tenderloin, and any seafood combination like shrimp, crab and mussels. It is rich in flavors and texture since you can put everything from the green and leafy cabbage or pechay to the brightly colored carrots, bell peppers and shiitake mushrooms. Noodles and tofu are essential too. There is no need to order rice since its carbo-loaded with corn, slices of taro and pumpkin.

The fun part begins as soon as the big plate of raw ingredients is served. Then you get to choose which food to cook and eat first on the hot pot right on the table. There are different dippings and sauces that can go with it. You get to choose how much seasoning and garnishing too. Make it spicy or extra spicy if you want. Cook and eat with all your heart's desire!

The first time I tasted it was when my boss treated us to a Shabu Shabu restaurant in Serendra last year. Since then I found myself seemingly addicted to it. It even came to a point when I had to literally shove my husband to enter the Healthy Shabu Shabu restaurant in SM Mall of Asia. He was never a huge fan of Japanese dishes, but when he tried it he instantly liked it.

Since Shabu Shabu is quite an expensive order, I decided to try making my homemade version. I used a rice cooker to replace the hotpot. Here's a snapshot of the ingredients that I used:



Unfortunately, I was not able to take a picture of it when it was cooked. We ate everything up! LOL!

2 comments:

amore said...

the ingredients look so yummy dey.. d ko pa rin n try to. by the way i edited the links now ;) ym me when u get a chance po =)

dea_tabs said...

You should definitely try it since you're preggy, its a healthy all-in-one meal!